Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

There is a phenomenon that occurs every year starting January 1st and lasts through about March.  It is called New Year's Resolution time at the gym.  Inevitably there is a huge influx of people, determined to get into shape, and the gym regulars have to move over for a bit to make room for these all-or-nothing harbingers of fitness.  And inevitably, there is a lot of complaint from the regulars because gym time is sacred time - get in, get focused and get out.  No one wants to wait for equipment, especially for someone who may or may not be there in a month.  But every once in a while, a resolution sticks, and I wonder what it is that is the catalyst for those people.  Because for me, all it took was a friend saying to me, "I give it a month."  If there is anything in the world that I (ashamedly) love to do, it is to prove someone wrong.  It is the competitor in me.  I just can't help it.

I have been active in some form or fashion all of my life.  Having kids who left me little to no time to exercise (or, when they did, they wanted to be ON me while I tried to workout) I was at my wit's end with the body I was trapped in.  It just wasn't mine anymore, after 3 kids and over 180 pounds gained and not quite lost between the three of them.  5 years ago I was sporadically working out, trying to make it a priority but always having other things weasel in on that time.  I had already gone through every friend I had trying to recruit a workout partner, to no avail (thank you very much, you guys know who you are).  But it was on January 1st, 2007 that I declared on a public forum that my resolution was to workout at least 4 times per week and I would not allow myself computer time until I had done so.  Hence, the previously mentioned comment.   On a public forum, I might add.  If ever there was a call to arms, for me, that was it.  I would rather die than let him be right.

And so here I am, 5 years later, a personal fitness trainer certification under my belt (and rarely in use anymore), still plugging away.  Some people call it an obsession, this love affair I have with weights, but I call it a lifestyle.  It has become such a huge part of my life and who I am, from how I look and feel in my skin to how it helps me manage my moods, conflict and stress in my life.  And let's not forget that little benefit called health.  I just received blood work back from the doctor showing that all of my levels are absolutely perfect (and not just for a 40 year old, either) and I doubt I would have been quite so fortunate had I not had that kick in the pants 5 years ago from the friend who thought I wouldn't (or perhaps just knew that I couldn't pass up a challenge). 

4 years ago, I fell in love with strength training, my workout partner (see what happens when you say yes?), and had lost 4 clothes sizes.  This year my workout partner cum husband and I are challenging each other to a fixed workout schedule rather than the haphazard, random workouts that come when we don't let other things get in the way and have set attainable personal goals again.   So to all those out there who poo poo the notion that resolutions can work, I say you are wrong.  They can.  We just have to find that motivating factor that turns a resolution into a lifestyle, no matter what kind of change it is we wish to see.  And to those of you who made resolutions, there is no doubt in my mind that you can do it if you really want to be the change you envision.  You just have to want it bad enough.  Or, like me, have someone tell you you can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment