Monday, October 24, 2011

Mini-Respite

What heavy things weigh on my mind at 5:30 in the morning as I roll out of bed to take my newly minted freshman, O, to 6:00 a.m. swim practice?  Honestly?  I wish I could say I was having profound thoughts, bringing with them clarity and a sagacity that I seem to have sought all of my life.  But really what I'm thinking is, "Oh God, do I have an energy drink in the refrigerator? NO? Do I have enough time to stop BEFORE I drop him off?" and "should I shower after I pack Roy's food, do some math, and then take E to school or should I shower after I drop her off, before I have to make it to class?"  And all the while I'm distracted by the 3 boxes and downed whiteboard in our study, calling to me like the ghosts of abandoned children; I can hardly shut my mind off to their whispers to even begin studying. So what do I do?

Well, isn't it obvious?  D: None of the above (except the food - already packed the food).  And 6:30 hits, alarm goes off (again), I hear the stirrings of E's alarm signalling shower time and it is time to start the ball rolling, my tiny bit of calm and quiet before the storm of the morning ritual ends almost quicker than it began.  I'm sure I will sit down again today and breathe.  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment